Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Scorching heat and blistering palms!

Well, I thought all the excitement would be over once I hit the auld shores of home. I was looking forward to a decent bit of boredom and tea with slippers on. Drinking tea while wearing slippers, not actually having cups of tea which wear slippers. Of course...

All my hopes were shattered this morning as drama unfolded in my humble Larkfield home in the form of the mighty infernos of Hell!

Well, Dec left the chip-pan on and we were sitting down doing nothing much and he noticed plumes of smoke in the kitchen. Actually, plume is quite a nice word. These were more like the Ostrich Feathers of Death. They were closely followed by flame, hot and hellish.

So we threw a couple of wet towels over it and it went out.

But it was dead smokey!

*sigh*

It's difficult making everyday life sound exciting. Perhaps if we'd just let it burn you'd've been happier as an audience, I Don't Know! I just don't...

Yesterday I got some books with the book tokens Sarah's folks gave me. I got Incompetence, by Rob Grant (of Red Dwarf fame), The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy, by Tim Burton (of being Tim Burton fame) and In Your Dreams, by Tom Holt, whose incredibly silly books have been amusing me no end over the last while. So plenty to rot my mind with over the period of my dissertation working-on. Not that there's much of that happening...

There was a vague panic yesterday as I found out there was no way I could get an extension on my print project deadline. A couple of days was all I wanted... So instead I spoke to Mike McCormack today and I'm off to Galway in the morning to conduct a rushed interview without having read his new novel. Thanks a million DIT!

And this is all the excitement I can stand to write about. Yes, all of it!

Bleh!

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Galway, doth thou reckon on being here long?

6:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home