Thursday, January 20, 2005

Hellfire and hatred!

So!
Yes, everything went well with Mike McCormack yesterday. He's a nice guy and we chatted for nearly two hours about his work, my work, Tarantino's work and the work of Arvo Part, an Estonian composer.

It was all good and the interview was easy to write up. It took no time to do and so I was very happy with the whole thing. Now I'm having trouble with the whole 'laying out' thing. Sometimes I wish I'd listened more closely in Quark Class all those many years ago...

Still, not to be dissuaded from work I'm... Well, I'm actually getting dissuaded from work and THAT, my friends, is why I am writing on this thing now. Such is my dismay at the state of everything.

I got a bit of a scare coming up to the newsroom. I took the lift like the lazy bastard I am (hey, it's four floors! Gimme a break!) and it greeted me with it's usual sayings. 'Doors closing' it said, while the doors closed. I pressed the 4th floor button, 'Going up' it said. Then things started getting a bit weird. It said 'going up' over and over and over for the entire duration of the short trip. I was afraid it was going to start singing, 'Daisy, Daisy...' or something. Even when I'd escaped the lift, it kept shouting, 'FOURTH FLOOR! FOURTH FLOOR!'... These are things it is meant to do only once. Someday that lift is gonna crack and some first year and a porter wheeling a TV will get eaten or worse!

I started reading 'Incompetence' by Rob Grant and there's a bit in it where an assassin rigs a lift so that it shoots someone out the top of a building. Quite ingenius really. The building had 17 stories and he rigged up a 33rd floor button, someone pressed it and WHOOSH! I was impressed.

Anyway, I'm gonna go now and think about writing up my poetty article. Most of it's done, so it shouldn't take more than about 6 minutes to put together. No, what I'm really worried about is Quark. It doesn't seem to like me very much... Refuses to put text in text boxes for me when that is the only function I wish it to carry out. Very odd altogether. Very odd...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home