Monday, April 04, 2005

Fortunately it was not me...

I once heard someone singing a song that went like this, "Joy to the world, the pope is dead..." I think that was all the lyrics actually. And now the Pope IS dead. How happy is the world? I think there should be questions asked of this fellow.

I have found that the world, at least my bit of it, is largely indifferent. Poor Popey. (Thanks to Anna for that...)

On a lighter note, I woke up this morning to find a copy of The Grudge and two tickets to see The Ring 2 waiting in a jiffy envelope for me. God bless Ireland on Sunday and all who sail in her. (Hi guys!) It just goes to show, nobody enters those competitions in the back of the paper. Except me. This is the third of fourth or maybe moreth thing I've won through competitions like this. A list, por favor:
1. Ozzfest tickets, from Phantom FM. Marvellous!
2. A POD album, from the big screen at the Ozzfest. Shite! (But I did get a few quid for it when I took it into the second hand record store, so, SCORE!)
3. A Disturbed DVD, from one o' them student webshites. Never watched it, gave it to a friend who in turn did not watch it and gave it to his brother as a birthday present. Everyone was happy! Except my friend's brother who was stuck with it.
4. €10 call-credit, from some giant sperm who invaded a bar I was in one night. Spermtastic!
5. The Grudge and Ring 2 tix. Maaaavellous!
6. Can't think, but I'm pretty sure there's another one. Wahey!

For those of you who thought Perseus was a guy with wings on his shoes who fought Gorgons and such like with the power of his shiny shield, go to www.perseus.com and you will see how wrong you are. Yes, Greek mythology continues to be perverted, this time by a market research company! I can imagine the meeting:
- Pegasus!
- Nah, that's a kind of shoe, or was it a horsey?
- Prometheus!
- Bit of a mouthful.
- Phyrrus!
- Aren't there negative connotations surrounding that name?
- Perseus!
- Yes! A man with wingéd sandals! And a shiny shield! Who slew Medusa! That perfectly sums up what our company stands for! Yes, we shall use a metaphorical shiny shield to examine internet trends and our surveys shall fly like wingéd sandals into the...

blahblahblah

As you may have guessed I have other things to be doing, which is precisely why I'm doing this. Shirking is what I am at and it feeeels sooo gooood.

I shall away now to commune with the green and sticky.
*poof*

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Ding dong the Pope is dead, the Pope is dead hurrah! Now if only the rest of 'them' could pop off this mortal coil as well.

I say replace Mass with non-stop Doctor Who action.

3:16 pm  
Blogger Stephen McMullin said...

Yes... I still wouldn't go to mass though. In fact, if they replaced mass with Dr. Who, I'd probably end up bursting into flames any time I saw or heard Tom Baker.

12:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the AP article How to name your company:

"Sometimes picking a name turns out to be an ongoing process.

"When the founders of Braintree, Mass.-based Perseus Development Corp. were creating the company in 1993, there was a meteor shower called Perseides. What a great name, they thought.

"For about 24 hours, chief operating officer Jeffrey Henning recalled. 'We thought better of it when we realized no one could spell it or pronounce it,' he said.

"They settled on Perseus, a name from Greek mythology, and called their business Perseus Software. It evolved into Perseus Development Corp. when the owners decided to incorporate and found that there was already a corporation named Perseus Software in another state, Henning said. The 'Development Corp.' was adopted from Lotus Development Corp., creator of Lotus Notes software."

We thought "Perseus" sounded high tech, while being vague enough that we could reposition the company over time as markets changed.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

11:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home